In the name of Allah the Most Gracious the Most Merciful
A benefit regarding Allah’s Highness علو
By Shaykh Zayd al-Madkhali may Allah have mercy on him
Al-’Uluw has three meanings:
- Highness of Allah in regards to His Essence being above His Throne.
He is above His Throne, as He rose above it in a manner which befits His Majesty. Meaning, He is not in any of His creation nor is anything in Him.
- Highness in regards to His Esteem and Greatness.
- Highness in regards to His Power and Control.
Just as Allah said,
والله غالب على أمره
“And Allah has full power and control over His Affairs.” [Surah Yusuf: 21]
وهو القاهر فوق عباده
“And He is the Irresistible (Supreme), above His slaves,” [Surah Anaam:18]
The people of innovation do not dispute over Allah’s Highness in His Esteem/Greatness (no 2) and His Power/Control (no 3). They only dispute and went astray in regards to the Highness of Allah’s Essence (no 1), being above His creation.
So from them are those who:
- Deny and reject Allah’s attribute of Highness, like the Jahmiyah, Mu’tazilah, and others who agree with them from the people of innovation.
- Explain this attribute with a false dispraised interpretation (ta’weel), like the Ashaa’irah and others.
As for Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaa’ah, then they believe in all three types of Highness (‘Uluw):
- Highness in His Essence
- Highness in His Esteem and Greatness
- Highness in His Power and Control
In a manner that befits His Majesty, Perfection, Essence, Names, and Attributes.
Source: Al-Jannah fee Idaah Kitaab Sharh as-Sunnah pg. 22
Translated by: Abu Awzaa’ee AbdusSalaam
الفقير الى الله
Also read Shaykh Abdul-Muhsin al-Badr’s commentary on Allah’s Name al-‘Alee