In the name of Allah the Most Gracious the Most Merciful
Definition of Bid’ah
By Shaykh Muhammad ibn Abdillah al-Wasaabee may Allah preserve him
The shaykh says in his book “Sharh jadeed ala qawl mufeed” (pg 348) under the chapter: Definition of Bid’ah:
Linguistic: it means invention, innovation اختراع
Allah says in suratul Ahqaaf:
ما كنت بدعاً من الرسل
“Say (O Muhammad):”I am not a new thing among the Messengers (of Allah) (i.e. I am not the first Messenger)”
Meaning: I did not come with a new message, rather many messengers have preceded me before.
1. Any belief, action, or word invented after the death of the prophet with the intention of worshiping and getting closer to Allah, and there is no evidence for it from the Kitaab and sunnah and none from the salaf (companions) did it.
2. Shaykhul Islaam said:Innovations in the religion- it is something that Allah and His messenger did not legislate.(Al-fataawa 4/107)
3. Al-Haafidh Ibn Rajab said:What is intended by Bid’ah is anything invented in the religion that has no foundation in the sharee’ah.(Jaami’ ‘uloom p.265)
4. Saalih ala Shaykh said: Innovations- whatever is narrated that is not from the religion. From statements, actions, beliefs, and other than that.(Tahdheer min bidah p. 80)
5. Ibn Uthaymeen said:It is worshiping Allah with what He has not legislated. (Al-majmoo’ ath-thameen 1/291)
Translated by: Abu Awzaa’ee Abdus-Salaam
الفقير الى الله