In the name of Allah the Most Gracious the Most Merciful
Ruling of holding the Mushaf in Taraaweeh
By Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-’Uthaymeen may Allah have mercy on him
Question: What is the ruling of holding the Mushaf in the Taraaweeh prayer during Ramadan for the reason of following the Imaam (recitation).?
Answer: All praises are due to Allah, holding the Mushaf for this intent contradicts the Sunnah from many aspects:
1. The one doing so wont be able to place his right hand over his left in qiyaam (standing).
2. He will move many times in his prayer without a need. For example when he open, closes, and places the Mushaf under him.
3. He will busy himself with these extra movements
4. He will lose the opportunity to look to the place of his prostration. Many of the scholars have said that looking at the place of prostration is a sunnah and more virtuous.
5. It is possible for the one who holds the Mushaf to forget that he is in prayer and his heart may not be fully attentive.
Indeed what is closer to attaining tranquility in prayer is to have one’s right hand over his left and to look to the place of prostration.
Source: Fataawaa shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen 45/1771
Translated by: Abu Awzaa’ee AbdusSalaam
الفقير الى الله
3 thoughts on “Ruling of holding the Mushaf in Taraaweeh -Shaykh ibn al-’Uthaymeen”
Sometimes reading from the mushaf along with d imam makes one concentrate more. In cases where d imam is reading long surahs one tends not to concentrate on the prayer if one is not reading along with him from d mushaf. But what is better than following the sunnah?? May Allah make it easy for us Allahu must’an.
Pingback: Ruling of holding the Mushaf in Taraaweeh -Shaykh ibn al-’Uthaymeen | Uzair ibn Nasser