In the name of Allah the Most Gracious the Most Merciful
Ruling of women cutting their hair
By Shaykh Muhammad Naasir ad-Deen al-Albaani, may Allah have mercy on him
Question: What is the ruling of a woman cutting her hair?
Answer: If the woman cuts her hair in order to resemble/imitate disbelieving or sinful women then it is not permissible to have this intention. If she cuts her hair in order to beautify herself for her husband, then I do not see anything that prevents her from doing so. There comes in Sahih Muslim* that the wives of the Prophet (peace be upon him) would cut their hair until it reached just below their earlobes.
From this Fatwa we benefit:
1. The permissibility of cutting the hair
2. The permissibility of cutting the hair in order to please the spouse
3. The evidence for this permissibility is found in Sahih Muslim
4. The obligation of not resembling disbelieving women**
5. The impermissibility of also imitating openly rebellious/sinful Muslim women
6. A limit to how much is taken from the hair, which in this case is up to the earlobe
7. A woman’s hair style should not resemble men’s hairstyle
*In Saheeh Muslim Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” [Baab al-Hayd, 320]
**This point can be understood from the hadith of Ibn ‘Umar that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “He who imitates any people (in their actions) is considered to be one of them.” [Abu Dawud 16/1471]
Source: al-Fataawa al-Muhimmah: Chapter of Libaas wa Zeenah, p. 758.
Translated by: Abu Awzaa’ee AbdusSalaam
الفقير الى الله
One thought on “Ruling of women cutting their hair -Shaykh al-Albaani”
Reblogged this on HistoryofHassan.